Tuesday 20 March 2012

On The Oliver Awards 2012



I have an opinion - so, hit me in the head with a spade and call me human.
Alternatively, bet me a box of chocolates that my predictions aren't right? Just for a laugh.


Best New Play
Collaborators at the NT Cottesloe
Jumpy at the Jerwood Theatre Downstairs at the Royal Court
The Ladykillers at the Gielgud
One Man, Two Guvnors at the NT Lyttelton *


I can't imagine a world where One Man, Two Guvnors doesn't win this, nuff said.


Best Revival
Anna Christie at the Donmar Warehouse
Flare Path at the Theatre Royal Haymarket
Much Ado About Nothing at the Wyndham’s
Noises Off at the Old Vic *


Personally, I'd like to see Anna Christie win, but I'm guilty of not seeing Noises Off yet, I've been waiting for the West End transfer. From what I hear, it deserves to win.


Best Entertainment & Family
Derren Brown – Svengali at the Shaftesbury *
Midnight Tango at the Aldwych
Potted Potter at the Garrick
The Tiger Who Came To Tea at the Vaudeville


I can't comment on this one, I haven't seen any of these. I have seen all of Brown's shows but this one, so I'm sure this is as deserving as the rest. On the other hand, I have a lot of friends who have enjoyed Potted Potter, so I wouldn't be surprised by that either.


Best Actress
Celia Imrie for Noises Off at the Old Vic*
Lesley Manville for Grief at the Cottesloe
Kristin Scott Thomas for Betrayal at the Harold Pinter
Marcia Warren for The Ladykillers at the Gielgud
Ruth Wilson for Anna Christie at the Donmar Warehouse

These are all so deserving...although Marcia Warren doesn't do so much in The Ladykillers...anyway, I've made this prediction based upon the reputation of Noises Off; Kristin Scott Thomas' return to the stage was much anticipated but not much raved about, and however much I adore Ruth Wilson, I don't think she can compete with those two names.


Best Actor
James Corden for One Man, Two Guvnors at the NT Lyttelton
Benedict Cumberbatch & Jonny Lee Miller for Frankenstein at the NT Olivier *
David Haig for The Madness of George III at the Apollo
Douglas Hodge for Inadmissable Evidence at the Donmar Warehouse
Jude Law for Anna Christie at the Donmar Warehouse


This has got to be the Frankenstein duo! I only saw Cumberbatch/Frankenstein and Miller/Monster but it was absolutely astounding, and they've already won all the other awards. The others don't have much of a chance after a show like Frankenstein.


Best Actress in a Musical
Kate Fleetwood for London Road at the NT Cottesloe
Sarah Lancashire for Betty Blue Eyes at the Novello
The Matildas for Matilda the Musical at the Cambridge *
Scarlett Strallen for Singin’ In The Rain at the Palace


I've not seen Scarlett in Singin' In The Rain yet, but I've not heard good things. Betty Blue Eyes was just horrific. Everyone whose seen it would agree, Matilda has the most talented children...in the world?


Best Actor in a Musical
Bertie Carvel for Matilda the Musical at the Cambridge*
Nigel Lindsay for Shrek the Musical at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane
Reece Shearsmith for Betty Blue Eyes at the Novello
Paulo Szot for South Pacific at the Barbican



Bertie's performance is astounding. If the children and score and show in general weren't so perfect, I might say that he steals the show. Nigel Lindsay was just disappointing.


Best Performance in a Supporting Role
Sharon D Clarke for Ghost the Musical at the Piccadilly
Sophie-Louise Dann for Lend Me A Tenor the Musical at the Gielgud
Nigel Harman for Shrek the Musical at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane *
Paul Kaye for Matilda the Musical at the Cambridge
Katherine Kingsley for Singin’ In The Rain at the Palace


I have a funny niggling feeling that Sharon D Clarke is going to win this. But I truly believe Nigel Harman deserves this one, perfect every time, and what's more: spent months on his knees.


Best New Musical
Betty Blue Eyes at the Novello
Ghost the Musical at the Piccadilly
London Road at the NT Cottesloe
Matilda the Musical at the Cambridge *
Shrek the Musical at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane


Shoe in.


Best Musical Revival
Crazy for You at the Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre *
Singin' In The Rain at the Palace
South Pacific at the Barbican
The Wizard of Oz at the London Palladium


Or possibly South Pacific. But as long as The Wizard of Oz doesn't win, I'll be happy.


Best Director
Sean Foley for The Ladykillers at the Gielgud
Nicholas Hytner for One Man, Two Guvnors at the NT Lyttelton
Rufus Norris for London Road at the NT Cottesloe
Matthew Warchus for Matilda the Musical at the Cambridge *


Matilda is up for all these awards for a reason after all, and at the heart of that is the director.


Best Lighting Design
Anna Christie designed by Howard Harrison at the Donmar Warehouse
Frankenstein designed by Bruno Poet at the NT Olivier *
Ghost the Musical designed by Hugh Vanstone at the Piccadilly
Matilda the Musical designed by Hugh Vanstone at the Cambridge


Ooooh these are all such good nominations, all deserving, but Frankenstein was such a journey, Poet tips it over the edge for me.


Best Sound Designer
Ghost the Musical designed by Bobby Aitken at the Piccadilly
Frankenstein designed by Underworld and Ed Clarke at the NT Olivier
The Ladykillers designed by Ben Ringham and Max Ringham at the Gielgud *
Matilda the Musical designed by Simon Baker at the Cambridge


I'm surprised at myself for choosing The Ladykillers here, but it was so cleverly done, in a way unlike the others; very of the genre, an instrument indicating each character, it became almost a character in itself. Again though, very deserved nominations, all.


Now...who wants to buy me a ticket to the Oliviers?

No comments:

Post a Comment