Thursday 8 March 2012

A Quick Rant: Fringe Theatre and The Price We Pay For Quality



Picture from: http://wetheatre.co.uk/pitchfork/quotes.htm
I have seen a lot of shows in these first two months of 2012 and without a doubt, the best things I've seen have been fringe productions. Being so enamoured with Theatreland, I'm lucky enough to know where and how to get cut price tickets for the West End shows, e.g. I got £2 tickets to ‘The Madness of King George’ through Masterclass at the Theatre Royal Haymarket, and £15 tickets for ‘The Importance of Being Earnest’ at the aforementioned theatre. The thing is, with all due respect, I didn't rate these shows very highly at all and yet they sit comfortably on their West End laurels able to cut ticket prices in full knowledge the theatre's label of 'West End' has a pulling power all of its own to fill the hundreds of seats. A West End production to me, now feels something of a safe one.

A prime example of what I'm talking about with Fringe theatre is 'Don't Stray From The Path' which I reviewed a few weeks ago. It wasn't perfect, but was innovative and exciting which more than makes up for that. After a series of West End disappointments, it feels like the time to finally really explore the edgy brilliance that seems only reserved to Off- West End venues – yes: the non-commercial stuff. Alas no! Indeed there’s a wealth of wonderful things to see on the fringes of Theatreland, calling out to my bones like some strange, internal, thespian magnet…yet unfortunately productions of this calibre are obviously costly to put on; and thereby, put me out. There is a wealth of discounts open to me in the West End, particularly the option of dayticketing, but not off-west end which saddens me immensely. As a student, I simply can’t afford to fork out up to £30 to see a fringe show, however much I’d like to.


Picture from: atgtickets.com

Now some off-west end venues like the Royal Court or the Arcola have schemes whereby the tickets are considerably reduced on certain days. I have been dying to see The Pitchfork Disney (just look at all the amazing reviews it’s had in the above poster) but couldn’t make it to the ‘Pay What You Can Tuesdays’. But for The Leisure Society at The Trafalgar Studios, tickets begin at £26.50. When did this inflation happen? Sure, this is just another post about the cuts made to Arts funding I suppose, but considering the quality of a large majority of the off-west end productions I’ve seen, my feelings are that in an ideal world, in order to keep daring, relevant theatre alive, I would prefer to see West End and Off-West End drama swap places. And so by placing productions like these in full view of a widening public eye, we might remember the possibilities of theatre, and fund it through bums on seats (more than just a hundred). When will it be okay to take small shows into big venues? Or better yet, make the small venues which have done so much for theatre, into the big thing.
P.S. If anyone knows of any discounts for ‘The Leisure Society’ – please, please, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment